Thursday, June 18, 2009

From Lake Manyara:
Today was a refreshing "people day" on the schedule. I kind of separate the days in my head by: people/animals. I know I've been disappointed that we're seeing less animals from here on out, but actually every day surprises me and I enjoy the days spent around people more. (As long as we're not on the streets with those obnoxious street sellers!) I simply despise being crowded like that and having those same necklaces thrust in my face!

Anyway, I guess by spending time with people, one just gets more of a feel for the country. And also, I'm finally getting used to being around people. I supposed I needed to be broken out of my uneasiness, and by going to the animal parks first, that never really happened. So, it's taken me awhile, but Im always so slow with everything that this only makes sense that I'm finally feeling splendidly (despite still feeling sad about some stuff still) to actually be able to walk out on the land and share it with these people, rather than being in a car all day.

We began our day seeing a hospital (and I have dubious notes on it but figure there's no need to type them here), and hoenstly loved this part of the day. When Brooke described the day and said we'd see more of a "modern Tanzania," it sounded exactly like everything I wanted to see. I was enamored by the system at the hospital, and also, this was my first time to see "US involvement" in Africa in a straightforward way, so that was meaningful. My mom is a neo natal nurse so she cares for sick babies, and I guess I took it all to heart to see this field before my eyes in Africa.
Today we continued our walking tour through the town and market (Mosquito River, TZ name Mtowambu in Swahili). I loved the walking tour and being out of the vehicle and walking around! Makes me think of Thoroeau's Waldon, or "Life in the woods" from literature. The message I got from it is, when when you walk to land and live on it, you really know it. That's the kind of thing I like--and sorta how I thought all of Africa would be! But, our trip is a mixture of both.

Something else I've been feeling bad about was cleared up by Brooke today as well. I haven't been giving any of the children anything, and Brooke told us it's okay and also that it's really our decision. If we do, we're essentially "training them" to beg-- changing the way they live and possibly to expect this again and again. We continued on to have a traditional Tanzanian lunch prepared by a women in the village. I guess the safari companies have an agreement with these places we've visited. We didn't really see much of the lady that prepared the meal either. What a surprise, everything was like Southern food -Brooke's words- very true. Chicken, potatoes, lots of vegetables in general... there was an indian bread thing I liked best. Crazy what a small world this is!

I did enjoy the savory tastes. I doubt I will want to touch another US chicken again though; they really are tasteless pieces of rubber in comparison to the fresh guys we dined on today (kinda sad that they were just running around in front of us). Still, nothing is worse than the truckloads of disturbed chickens I've seen being carted to the slaughter house in the "good ole USA." We also had a chance to taste some Banana Beer prior on our walking tour, but needless to say my head began aching, resulting in my stomach feeling unsettled; I was just waiting for the meds I took to kick in. Soon it passed, and my physical health back to normal. I didnt feel great because for whatever reason, I did not sleep well. Anyway, we ended up back at the wonderful paradise lodge later, just had to survive horribly bumpy roads. My mind really wonders a whole lot, and things, all of lifes experiences, seem to connect in someway, and I thought of sailing rocky waves on the MS gulf coast.


Local market

No comments: