Friday, June 19, 2009

Ngedga tented camp is a tropical paradise. I wonder if this is how Emerson felt in the Lake District? Felt like today has the most freedom out of any place we've been, and it's super nice. Since being here I was able to catch 2 skinks running around on the porch. I walked around a lot near the deck, in generally just insect-watching, and had a little encounter with a Nile Monitor Lizard! Made me think of our Water Buck friend that pool-hopped at Rivertrees. The owner told me that if I wanted to wait, they'd come out and sun themselves on the deck again, should I stay, but, I headed back to the tent to do some journal writing, and clean up a cut I got from climbing up some concrete to see if I could spot where the Monitor Lizard ran off too. Bailey took a nap (and surprisingly I didn't, though I could have!) and Mi'chel, Andrew, Christina, and Meryl and I all walked towards the dried up lake bed through African dust storms that stung as they hit our skin! We all go great pictures of a boy herding goats. For Tanzanians, goats are easier and cheaper to herd so it's common to see. We proceeded to walk towards this 'nonexistent water' but it turned out to be much further away than we thought, so, we headed back. We all walked back and got ready to go up the cliff behind the lodge for a sunset view. Some workers delivered beers (and sodas) up there. I really enjoyed the view, and the beer, (Tusker and Kilimanjaro) and this is when I also thought of people I wished I could share this with. At the horizon, it was like watching earth and sky reach a truce. The sun just down, there was a warm afterglow on everything as the hill began to darken we began to head down. I didn't say much, but I had such a great time. Everyone was happily chatting away, and it (all) was so beautiful. Tomorrow we are going to see a tribe and I've been mentally preparing myself for that. I am also going to make myself not over think anything, but I'm not looking forward to this as much.


The boy we saw.








The wind never stops moving through the palm trees, with a calm rustling noise that feels like a tropical beach. It took a heck of a lot of navigation to get here via our expert guides that know their way across non existent roads.

No comments: