Monday, June 22, 2009

Today we went to the Crater! Nogorongoro Crater that is. I had wild expectations for it, and even though all my assumptions were wrong, I loved it. (ie, I thought animals would literally be charging in front of us, covering every inch of land, etc!) Just my crazy perception of the infamous crater! -I learned the crater is home to up to 25,000 large mammals, mainly grazers - gazelle, buffalo, eland, wildebeest, and warthog, and the densest predator population in Africa.

I started out riding with Christina, Mi'chel, and Andrew, just to change things up and ride with the guide Elisa (maybe for the last time ever!!) The atmosphere of the Crater during early morning created by the clouds of fog was very magical and mysterious, that I wished I could run across the road and venture into the shrubbery for a photo. It was freezing so I didn't keep the window down too long --just long enough I could get a photo that I was seeking. I felt great venturing into literally the "unknown," but I'm afriad our car was full of hangovers that morning because of the Garden House gathering that took place last night so everyone was trying to rest as we progressed through the blankets of fog. Too bad these blankets were freezing cold!

The afternoon was wonderful, arriving to warm land inside the crater with beautiful colors in the sky and on the hills. Hope this doesn't sound bad but I didn't really care if I saw any animals for not, because the land was really nice to cruise through standing up in the Rover! And, I suppose I figured I'm happy with everything I've seen so nothing mattered on this day. And we did see many creatures, just the way to end a trip--with a variety of animals. Kind of grew fond of a buffalo that approached us. Gonna use this word again, and say he was-cute.

After lunch Nicole and I switched and got in the Rover with Brooke, Ben, and Jackson, also what someone called "The teacher car," which was wonderful. I (obviously) enjoy the relaxed, mellow LandRover over the Party Rover, but both have their pros and cons I suppose! And this last ride through the Crater was a great way to end safari forever, as it was led by the Guide Jackson. :) I was dwelling in thoughts in the beauty of the Crater and thinking about the beautiful blanket of fog from the morning that covered up our descent to the crater. So driving back up it was an incredible first sight! It could have been scary too, as it appeared we could fall off a cliff! I know that although it took me awhile to warm up to traveling with our crazy group, that I'd really miss them and this place. Next time, I'm ready for it all!

No comments: