Saturday, June 20, 2009

What a day!
I loved seeing the Bushmen, and going on a "hunt" with them. When we first arrived, the scene was hardly intimidating as I thought it would be!

The men were huddled in one group smoking what a classmate called, "the good stuff." So I could smell the marijuana and its humorous to know that according to Jackson, authorities don't mess with the bushmen! The women were huddled in another group. They practiced on a target before taking off into the woods.

I tried to prepare myself mentally for animal killings and once we actually saw the bushmen in action, I was excited for them when they finally brought the Bushbaby to justice. And the monkey that pulled the arrow out? Cunning! I thought it was funny how into the whole thing Mi'chel was. Thought of my friend Kurt again, he'd love this! I really enjoyed just being nearby and thus having lots of free room to photograph. I guess safari is kind of stifling in that sense. (That everyone is right next to each other taking the same photographs). So, truly and honestly, today was the first day I really let loose and actually photographed people and did so at my leisure. It was nice! And the monkey, well, I'm going to admit was a bit harder a sight because he was still wheezing and all, just laying on the ground before he was thrown onto the fire. It was quite the experience, and not to be frivolous, but now I can say I ate monkey!

Afterwards, we went to see a blacksmith. I enjoyed this as well. Who knew what you could do with old master locks. Why don't we do that type stuff in the US? Where has all our ingenuity gone? These people use all their resources and truly, truly, each and every one of them is an artist!

*note* Today after seeing the Hadzabe tribe hunt for their food, I really can't ignore that I felt bothered, and I think that's a part of this trip too. For me, breakfast, lunch, and dinner parts of the day are killer. So much food and so much guilt. Though as I'm trying to keep everything optimistic, there are a few topics that I seem to dwell on in my mind. So, needless to say when riding with Jackson (Babu) and having him tell me I'm so quiet and give me the life advice, "Don't think so much...it causes trouble!" I can only say he's truly a babu! I have never known either of my grandfathers, so, I imagine Babu really is my grandpa now!

No comments: